Sunday, December 11, 2011

Flower Explosion - Video Drawing Tutorial

Wellington...howling wind, fog, hail, landslides, earthquakes...and that's just in one afternoon!  Ok ok, maybe I am exaggerating a bit, but generally here in Wellington, New Zealand, we just have to ignore the weather and get on with things.

I was born here but I lived in a very hot place for most of my life.  When I returned and began complaining about the cold weather, a friend of mine who lived here all her life said to me 'Well, you're just going to have to toughen up a bit!'.  She said it in a joking way, of course. I am glad she said it, because it's true, there is no point complaining about the weather. Why? Because when spring and summer come around it is all worth putting up with.

Suddenly there is an explosion of flowers, crystal clear blue skies reflecting in the breathtaking beauty of the harbor, and everything turns an amazing shade of emerald green.  The hills are covered in dense forest, similar in texture to large clumps of brocolli. The botanical gardens come alive and burst into colour, like something out of a children's picture book.

Spring has already sprung here and the flowers are now at their best. Now summer is here. I thought I would capture the floral inspiration before they finish, with this latest tutorial.  These blooms are obviously not going to win any prizes for botanical drawing, they are straight out of my imagination.

Have a go at drawing your own flower explosion...it's lots of fun!  I know the weather where you live may be turning a little chilly, but when you have finished drawing these cheerful flowers, you will feel as warm as a sunny summer's day.

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog and You Tube, send me a video response with your drawing (in the comments below the tutorial video on You Tube), or add your artwork to the 'Dangerous Doodles' group on Flickr,  I can't wait to see your wonderful floral creations!

Regards,


13 comments:

  1. Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your wonderful tutorials. I teach 4th grade in the NE corner of the USA and show my students all of your tutorials. They love it. Our art teacher was also inspired, so she is doing a unit on "Zen" doodling for them. The fact that your blog mentioned your change of seasons will make a great connection to our geography lesson and how the seasons are different soutn of the equator. Again, thank you for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, Janet! Sorry for the late reply, Blogger only just added a 'reply' button so now I can reply properly. You made my day. I am an art teacher myself (currently teaching my own little 'class' at home) and I am so glad to hear that your students are being inspired by my videos. How old are 4th grade students? Does the class have a name? Maybe I can mention them in one of my next videos as a surprise for them. I would love to see some of their artwork, too!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your comments, everyone! So glad you are enjoying the tutorials. Wow, that's so exciting, Janet! Did you really show your students? I'm so honoured! Please tell them a bit HELLO all the way from New Zealand. I would love to see some of their work and show it on my blog...or maybe they would like to make a video response, that would be fun! I am a teacher myself, so I am so happy to hear that your students in the US are enjoying my videos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched your Flower Explosion video on Pinterest...I am so glad I found your blog! You are very talented and I will be back. I paint, but love to doodle...but you took it to another level...really impressive. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your comment, Donna! Glad you are enjoying the videos as much as I enjoy making them :)

      Delete
  5. love your flowers! your doodles are awesome! hello from Dunedin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this was amazing! I love your tutorial. I'm off to check out the rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog via Pinterest, and I love the video on the "Flower Explosion". I was wondering, what pen are you using to draw here? It looks amazing, and I love the variety of lines you are getting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a private school teacher in the states, and I usually get caught up with work, kids, household chores, college, and I realized that my love of creating has been dampened by my busy schedule. I used to have time to write, draw/sketch, etc. but it's all fallen by the waste-side. Your drawings have inspired me to look within myself and go back to the things I love--- TO CREATE!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...